Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Oh the places you will go...


Life has been annoying lately.  I could list all of the things that I have found bothersome in the past month or so (and I will later on), but for now I just want to rant a little bit.  As an aspiring author, there are obviously always going to be hurdles to overcome in order to share my stories with the world.  Agents are bombarded by thousands and thousands of queries every week and they have to make judgement calls based on a finite amount of information.  That’s totally fine.  I’ve only gotten four rejection letters so far with about twenty outstanding.  Should I be discouraged?  Of course not!  Some authors are rejected hundreds of times before they finally find someone willing to look at their work a little bit deeper.  When that time comes, I’ll be able to smile with pride, knowing this was the right person for me.

What annoys me is how drivel like Fifty Shades of Gray and Twilight gets published and receives commercial success from unsuspecting and impressionable tweens and horny/lonely housewives.  Who decided that those were publishable?  That actually keeps me up at night on occasion.  If crap like that can be published, certainly my stories can be...right?

Chances are that if you’re reading this...you’re one of my friends or someone in my family. Of course, there is the possibility that my blog is being read by those I don’t know (which is honestly my ultimate goal), to which I say, “Hello!!!”  I have to say this, because, if you do know me, you probably have heard me talk about the story in my first novel at one point or another.  If you’re new to the life and adventures of Andrew Simone, then it’s time to fill you in on exactly what my story is about.

I came up with the general story behind The Book of The Chosen way back when I was 10 years old.  It started out as a nightmare, but evolved over the years into something SO much more.  It initially centers around three friends who have just graduated high school, but quickly becomes an ensemble piece comprised of dozens of characters from a diverse array of backgrounds and places.  I’m not going to go into specifics with this particular post, but here is the basic premise.  

The story initially follows three friends after graduating high school.  Jay Meade is a strong willed prodigy who is often plagued by bad luck.  His girlfriend Kim is a quiet mousey girl, who may come off as shy and meek, but if provoked, she’ll go apeshit on your ass.  Then there is Tom, an emo, pessimistic asshole who is broken and traumatized by the tragic death of his parents.  The three are quickly thrown into an ancient war between God and Lucifer and are forced into a fight to prevent the prophesized apocalypse that was foretold at the dawn of human civilization.

I’ll be throwing excerpts and stuff onto the blog in the future, but I want to get back to what I was saying before.  Twilight sucks.  Fifty Shades of Gray is fan fiction and sucks too.  They both suck...but they’re successful...and that’s all that matters.  If they can do it, I sure as hell can too!!
So, this is the point in the blog where I list the things that have been annoying me lately (like I said I would):
Job
-          I’ve been trying to move into a new role at my job for about 3 months now.  I was initially promised a job, but it had to go through an approval process and it still hasn’t been finalized.  By mid-July, I got tired of waiting and started applying for other internal jobs at my firm.  I found one that REALLY seemed up my alley and I’m still in the process of interviewing for it.  I started that process the last week of July...Basically, my firm has very long and in-depth interview procedures. Lol.  Hopefully, it will all be situated soon.  There’s another job that is on the table within the firm, but I’m waiting on that too.  Lé sigh...
Living arrangement
-          After college, I moved back home to save up some money with my family while I worked.  It definitely had its ups...but I think it inhibited my growth as an adult.  I still haven’t truly lived on my own and I have been in desperate need of that.  In July, my family moved and sold our house.  I stayed there by myself until the closing date, but when the first week of August came...I moved in with my aunt and am sleeping on her couch in the basement now (by choice people...she did offer a bed).  In anticipation of this happening, I started looking around the area for houses to buy.  I have found that the house hunting process is incredibly long and stressful.  Now, I’ve deferred finalizing any purchase of a house (which I think I’ve found!) until my job situation has been determined.
The future
-          Pretty much a combination of 1 and 2.  I just would like to know where my job will take me, where I’ll be living six months from now, and when/if my book will ever be published (and when/if it is, how successful will it be?).  These are things that I just have to ride out and take everything in along the way.
Ian on Big Brother
-          Dude screwed EVERYONE this week and was responsible for getting my man Mike Boogie kicked out.  Shit is cray.

That’s all I have for now.  I’m going to go buy a book and start reading something new.  BOOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment